Hangzhou First People’s Hospital was founded in May 29, 1923 and is among the first group of hospitals in Zhejiang that passed the Level Three Grade A qualification assessment in 1989. It is the biggest general hospital in the Hangzhou region and provides medical service, teaching, research, disease prevention, and public health protection. The hospital is also known as Clinical Research Institute of Zhejiang Academy of Medical Sciences and Hangzhou Hospital affiliated to Nanjing Medical University.
The hospital presently has 2,108 employees and more than 50% of the medical and technical staff has middle-level or senior professional titles. Among them, there are 12 specialists enjoying special allowances of the State Council or the municipal government, 50 talents for provincial or municipal level cultivation, 6 Qianjiang Special-Appointment Experts, 40 professors and associate professors of Nanjing Medical University, and 50 supervisors of doctoral and master students. The hospital has a land area of over 2 hectares. Officially it has 1,000 beds and actually there are 1,480 beds available for patients. It has 50 primary and secondary clinic and technical departments. The provincial and municipal level key medical specialties of the hospital include gastroenterology, vasculocardiology, oncology, obstetrics & gynecology, clinical diagnostics, ophthalmology, neurology, nephrology, hematology, clinical laboratory, otolaryngology, pediatrics, and radiation oncology.
As an affiliated hospital of Nanjing Medical University and a teaching hospital of Zhejiang University Medical School, Hangzhou Normal University, Zhejiang Chinese Medical University and Wenzhou Medical College, Hangzhou First People’s Hospital is responsible for the clinical teaching and training of more than 400 medical students every year. The hospital is also a doctoral program teaching site of Nanjing Medical University and Zhejiang Chinese Medical University and has a relatively complete medical education system.